You are here :: Planning Information

Planning Information


Planning Permission and Building Regulations

The information on this website is only a guide. It is the customers responsibility to decide if planning regulations apply to their situation, and to apply for any planning permission/building consent necessary before purchasing a garden building.

If you are unsure if you need Planning Permission or Building Control Approval you should contact your local council for advice.

Most garden buildings, including log cabins, are classified as Permitted Development and usually should not require Planning Permission providing you keep to the rules outlined in the Planning Permission section below.

Local planning permissions can vary and if you are unsure you should always check with your local planning office before purchasing. If you are in a conservation area you will nearly always need permission.

Planning Permission - Outbuildings

Rules governing outbuildings apply to sheds, greenhouses and garages as well as other ancillary garden buildings such as swimming pools, ponds, sauna cabins, kennels, enclosures (including tennis courts) and many other kinds of structure for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house.

Outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, provided all the conditions are met:

1. No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.
2. Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
3. Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container  within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
4. No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
5. No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
6. In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.
7. On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.
8. Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission.

* The term "original house" means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so.

* Designated land includes national parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites.

Important note: The permitted development allowances described here apply to houses, not flats, maisonettes or other buildings. You should check with your Local Planning Authority whether permitted development rights apply – they may have been removed by what are known as Article 4 directions. Other consents may be required if your house is listed or in a designated area.

Wales: This guidance relates to the planning regime for England. Policy in Wales may differ. Contact your local planning authority for further information.


Building Regulations - Outbuildings

If you want to put up small detached buildings such as a garden shed or summerhouse in your garden, building regulations will not normally apply if the floor area of the building is less than 15 square metres.

If the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials.

In both cases, building regulations do not apply ONLY if the building does not contain any sleeping accommodation.

0845 017 08 54 (Lo-Call - leave message)

07931 363227 (mobile)

Back to Top
Jul 02, 2022

Back to Top